HLTAID003 Provide first aid (Senior First Aid)
This course covers the following:
• State/Territory regulations, first aid codes of practice and workplace procedures;
• Legal, workplace and community considerations;
• Considerations when providing basic emergency life support, including:
o Airway obstruction due to body position;
o Appropriate duration and cessation of CPR;
o Appropriate use of an AED;
o Chain of survival;
o Standard precautions; and
o How to conduct a visual and verbal assessment of the casualty.
• Principles and procedures for first aid management for a range of scenarios; and
• Basic anatomy and physiology.
• Respond to an emergency situation;
• Apply appropriate first aid procedures including:
o Perform at least 2 minutes of uninterrupted single rescuer CPR (5 cycles of both compressions and ventilations) on an adult resuscitation manikin placed on the floor; and
o Perform at least 2 minutes of uninterrupted single rescuer CPR (5 cycles of both compressions and ventilations) on an infant resuscitation manikin placed on a firm surface.
• Respond to at least two simulated first aid scenarios contextualised to the your workplace/community setting, including:
o Conduct a visual and verbal assessment of the casualty;
o Demonstrate safe manual handling techniques;
o Post-incident debrief and evaluation; and
o Provide an accurate verbal or written report of the incident.
• Communicate details of the incident; and
• Evaluate the incident and own performance.
No pre-learning is required prior to arrival at the face-to-face session in class.
There are no pre-requisites associated with HLTAID003 Provide first aid.
Unit(s) of Competency
There are no formal qualifications associated with this course.
This course supersedes HLTFA311A Apply first aid, also previously referred to as Senior First Aid.
This course also encompasses the following units of competency:
• HLTAID001 Provide cardiopulmonary resuscitation; and
• HLTAID002 Provide basic emergency life support.